In part I and II I did a quantitative analysis on altcoins and possible strategies on how to capitalize on their weakness compared to bitcoin.
In Part III we will see how to allocate a portfolio starting with Fiat currencies.
In the table below you will find cryptos with relative gains (G) and volatility (RMS) against the dollar using all the historical data available, as data source was mainly used poloniex and bittrex exchanges, for bitcoin has been used Bitstamp.
In red the cryptocurrencies with negative Gain against the USD.
|Cryptocurrency||Gain (G)||Volatility (RMS)|
It’s pretty obvious that i’ll not consider any crypto with negative Gain and Bitcoin is clearly the winner with the best Gain and low volatility compared to the rest. I exclude also all the crypto with positive Gain but with high volatility because the main objective is to allocate a portfolio with the lowest possible volatility.
The remaining crypto are:
- Ethereum Classic
Ideally it should be allocated the same amount of money on each asset but to compute the fraction of your capital to put on each asset i use the same formula seen in Part I & II.
F = 2P - 1
Where F is the optimal fraction of your capital to wage in a single trade and P the persistence or Shannon Probability, concepts already explained in Part I & II.
|Cryptocurrency||Persistence (P)||Fraction of your capital to wage (F)|
Thanks to the formula F=2P-1 I know how much to wage on each crypto for a total of around 40% of your capital to invest in crypto. The remaining 60% could be invested in traditional stuff of your choice (equities, bonds, real estate). But let see in detail a simple portfolio management strategy.
Simple Portfolio Management Strategy
- Maintain about ten, or more, equities in the portfolio.
- Maintain about equal asset allocation between the ten equities.
- Consider the investment horizon from one to four calendar years.
- Be skeptical of investing in assets with less than a two and a half year history with a minimum of four and a half years.
Four simple policies listed in order of importance, and the second policy is the one that makes the money or the “engine” of the strategy. A short investment horizon is mandatory because “risk management” is an important part of financial engineerin g and given enough time, no matter how small the risk, it will bite.
At the moment there aren’t ten cryptocurrencies that satisfy my needs in terms of Gain (G) and Volatility (RMS) so I have to find a compromise, using only five crypto and, personally, i prefer to don’t maintain an equally asset allocation among all cryptos because there is a huge difference in terms of size between Bitcoin and the others. Another issue is that many altcoins have less then 2 years of history because this new sector is relatively new so it is difficult to respect rule number 4.
Another important concept is how frequent to balance the portfolio. Doing it every day is really not necessary for the casual long term investor. An interesting choice is to rebalance asset allocation if there is an asset that exceed all the others by 5-10%. Basically when one asset increased in value more than the others, money should be removed from the investment, and re-invested in all the others thus defending the gains through investment diversification.
The suggested asset allocation is intended as very aggressive having almost 40% allocated in cryptocurrencies, I would advise not to follow this if you are over 65 or if you have a family with kids. In this case I would suggest a maximum of 10% invested in cryptocurrencies (e.g. 6% Bitcoin, 4% Ethereum or 6% Bitcoin, 2% Dash, 2% Monero).
In the case of a very conservative asset allocation, for who has a very low risk tolerance, I would not go beyond 5% allocated in cryptocurrencies.
Personally i’ve a very high aggressive asset allocation but I’ve all the time and experience to follow carefully my Portfolio and to act accordingly to new information on a daily basis.
In the future i might publish other updates about the subject with updated quantitative data on altcoins/bitcoin.